When we examine your smile every few months, we look for signs of decay and other oral health concerns. But did you know that we also screen for oral cancer? Undergoing a screening for this serious disease is crucial for your oral health.
Try Our Quiz on Oral Cancer Screenings
- True or False: Lesions that don’t heal could be a sign you need a screening.
- True or False: You should have one once a year.
- True or False: We offer them as part of a checkup.
- True. If you notice lesions, sore spots, or areas that are red and white splotched that don’t heal after 14 days, you need to schedule a visit as soon as possible. Rough patches, persistent hoarseness, and changes in your voice can also be indicators of oral cancer. If one or more of these potential symptoms applies to you, then give us a call.
- True. According to the Oral Cancer Foundation, around 49,000 people are diagnosed with the disease each year. Of that number, roughly half will succumb to the disease within five years. The high mortality rate is due to the fact that oral cancer is rarely discovered in the early stages. However, by attending a yearly screening you can increase the chances of an early diagnosis and a chance at a full recovery.
- True. When we perform a checkup, we look at your smile for signs of tooth decay, gingivitis, gum disease, TMJ disorder, and bruxism. We also screen your smile for oral cancer. This routine visit is essential for helping you maintain optimal oral health. If you need to schedule a visit for a checkup and screening, then contact our team today.
Do You Need a Screening?
At Brighton Family Dental Group, we provide screenings as part of routine checkups and cleanings. You can schedule an appointment or consultation with Dr. Villani or Dr. Kondrat by reaching out to our office at (617) 562-5210. We are proud to offer a range of dental services to patients from Brighton, Watertown, Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, and all neighboring communities.