Cavities impact patients of all ages. In fact, only between 1% and 2% of the population are actually immune to dental caries. What can you do to protect your smile and avoid tooth decay? In today’s blog, we’re going to use a fun quiz to explain what steps you can take to safeguard your smile against cavities.
Try Our Quiz on Avoiding Tooth Decay
- True or False: What you eat can put your smile at risk.
- True or False: Better home habits can help protect your smile.
- True or False: You shouldn’t ignore toothaches or tooth sensitivity.
- True or False: We can clean your teeth to reduce your risk.
- True. When we consume foods and drinks high in sugar and other starches, bacteria can break down the sugar particles stuck on and between the teeth. In the process, oral acidity rises and the teeth become coated in plaque buildup. Cutting back on sugary snacks, as well as sodas, energy drinks, and sports, drinks can help you reduce your cavity risk.
- True. How do you care for your smile at home? Each day, you should be brushing your teeth twice, once when you wake up and again before going to bed. Each time should take no less than two minutes. We also recommend flossing your teeth every night before going to bed.
- True. If you notice persistent pain or sensitivity in a tooth that doesn’t subside after 48 hours, then please see us for a thorough diagnosis.
- True. Every six months we can perform a professional dental cleaning to remove plaque and help your smile stay free of tooth decay.
Do You Have a Cavity?
At Brighton Family Dental Group, you will find an expert team ready to diagnose the cause of your discomfort and recommend the most appropriate treatment option. You can schedule an appointment or consultation with Dr. Thomas Villani or Dr. Richard Kondrat by reaching out to our office at (617) 562-5210. We are proud to offer a range of dental services to patients from Brighton, Watertown, Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, and all neighboring communities.